Issues that often need to be addressed in blasting operations include stability of the final excavated faces, and the control of ground vibrations and noise. Well-developed procedures are available to address these issues, which will usually involve the preparation of suitable contract specifications and payments methods.
- Determination of special conditions governing blasting operations such as final wall stability, ground vibration, flyrock and noise control;
- Geological studies of rock quality, fracture spacing and rock strength;
- Design of blast hole layout and explosive loads consistent with project requirements such as final wall blasting and limitations on ground vibration;
- Pre-blast surveys of structures at risk from blasting operations;
- Preparation of specifications;
- Assessment of blast damage claims.