In mountainous terrain, large-scale instability may take the form of creep over a period of decades or centuries, or sudden catastrophic collapse. The identification of landslides is vital during the planning stage of a project. This will permit appropriate mitigation work to be implemented, or possibly relocation of the facility to a more stable location.
- Landslide identification using historical searches, aerial photograph interpretation and field mapping;
- Risk assessment to facilities located on or in the vicinity of landslides based on likely movement rates, and impact of movement;
- Laboratory testing of shear strength;
- Design of remedial measures such as drainage, and installation of protective measures;
- Installation of movement monitoring systems.